Tuesday, November 08, 2011

It's the End of the World and REM Knows It...


It was a sad day when REM called it a day as a band last September. Yes, I’m writing about an event that happened LAST SEPTEMBER!!!! Sorry but I am living in another parallel dimension. I just got the news two days ago!



And this is just one of the many signs and wonders that are coming out in the media- the age of the 90’s kids is about to come to an end. For us, it’s the end of the world.

Although I’m not a hardcore groupie/fan/worshipper of the band, some of their songs influenced me so much; they actually got stuck in my heart. They’re like the lost prophets who paved the way for alternative rock music to enter the mainstream, enter our heads, and then our hearts, and then ruin me and my generation for good, ripping our souls apart, predicting the end of it all, and releasing our souls in the age of freedom and non-conformism. Thus, my generation was formed. Very 90’s eh. That’s probably why most people who spent their teenage years in the 90’s are so stuck to that period, they’re so laid back, so pragmatist, and so jologs.

And yes I’m rambling again. Still can’t believe that something like R.E.M. would come to an end.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

Losing My Religion



In the early 90’s I had problems dealing with my own faith. To fall in love would mean death and to lose my religion because of love would mean death as well. I found myself in the edge of curse and blessing. Until now, it’s the same old theme.

And whenever I look upon you or remember you, I do feel like losing my religion. I get crazy. I try to rebel but lose the courage to do so. I try to destroy everything but I never actually had to guts to carry it out.

The chorus keeps echoing in the depths of my soul.

Are you my saving grace or the vortex that leads to the bottomless pit?

Was that just a dream?

Everybody Hurts



I’ve had my share of indulging myself with the most depressing songs of the decade. You know how some depressed, confused, suicidal teenagers are. I was one of them. I was a sucker for sad songs. If emo was a fad in those days, I think I would’ve become one. Yuuuuch! Hahahaha! Looking back, it seems absurd. Stupid! But I still liked the song because it brings out so much humanity in you. It’s a powerful song that says, “Yes, this song is soooo beautiful and true. Life is sickening. Kill yourself kid.” At the end of the song, you find yourself lying in the bed soaked in a crimson pool of blood coming from your wrists while holding a razor with a saint-like smile spread on your face.

The power of the song. And that’s why it’s so amazingly beautiful.



It’s the end of the world as we know it



The world’s gone mad and crazy, fast-paced and mindlessly consuming all things, knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing. It’s effed-up. You go to work. Even in that small space, the world gets to you. You get dizzy. You’re so fed up with all the unnerving taks, the mob labour, the lies TV tells you, the false hopes your company offers you, your responsibilities.

And the end of the world comes. You feel actually fine about it. It’s time you had some time alone for yourself. And that very moment, you’ve stopped becoming the exploited slave, the socially-sodomized fool, the humanoid beast. At that very moment, at the end of the world, you cease becoming somebody in their eyes and finally become the human being you’ve always wanted to be. And it is the end of the world. It’s so fine.

Leaving New York



And finally the song that tells so much how I feel right now. It’s easy to leave than to be left behind.

I will leave you one day. You’ll never notice it. But then, have you even considered my existence? Never mind. It doesn’t really matter. It’s embarrassing and stupid. But I’d rather leave than be left behind.

Now that R.E.M. has left, I feel lost and bewildered. It won’t be easy for us to go forward but at least we have their songs to help us walk through the valley and the shadow of the deathly music of auto-tuned-glitter-ass-girls and Justin-Bieber menace.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *

The world makes one step forward towards its end now that R.E.M. is gone. It’s hard to accept it, but the age of my generation is about to call it a day. But you simply cannot erase in the cold eye of memory the three decades of unforgettable hits and music that this band left in mankind’s history.

R.E.M. forever….

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sige, sakayan niyo ang trip ko....