An Iggy Pop Concert is never a normal one. And most of the time it is life-threatening. But the music and the songs are so good you really have to be there despite the hazards. I’ve been to the concert and I’m a survivor. And here I am sharing to the world how to survive (and enjoy) in an Iggy Pop Concert.
1. Get there as early as possible- so you could be right in front of the stage and get a good look of Iggy Pop. And besides, it’s unlikely to see pushing and punching in the front rows near the stage.
AND you’ll get a
better view of this!
You have no idea of what I’ve been through just to get there and get a good view of this.
Hehehehe… I didn't bring a camera. Quite impossible to carry one.
2. Workout- Yes, you really need a fit and strong body. Why? Because of two things:
a. Girls are everywhere. The time will come when the heat (even in open-air areas) will be unbearable and you’ll have to remove your shirt. And girls will be lookin’ at you. Hehehehe...
b. If you don’t come early, it’s more likely that you’ll end up somewhere a few meters away from the stage and in the middle of the big crowd. I was in the middle of that 10,000 people who came to see the concert. Once the singer starts rocking, there will be violent pushing and punching. And you really got to be strong enough to be able to stand on both feet, punch some idiot and get away with it easily, and push that mass of insolent pigs. If you’re bringing your girl with you, you need strong arms to protect her. Which brings me to my third point.
3. Never bring your girlfriend/boyfriend if they’re not into punk rock or not interested at all.- There won’t be a simple jump and jive. There will be hell. And if you think of bringing her/him with you, you might as well consider being single the following day. They might die crushed in the stampede or asphyxiated.
4. Bring your own oxygen tank.- It’s really a miracle I survived that. The atmosphere is a mixture of garlic breath, smoke, sweat, body odours, and alcohol. Bringing your own oxygen tank will keep you alive in this deadly atmosphere and the tank will be helpful during the frenzied pushing and punching.
5. Put aside altruism and humanity.- At first I was very concerned not to hurt the people around me or step on someone else’s foot. But in the end you have no choice but to push your way through. And hey, it’s very therapeutic. All those advises or meditation, tai-chi, and prayers. Hell no? It’s the concert man, and just try pushing everyone in the crowd with all your might and all that rage inside will be released.
6. Stay away from the most rotten part of the crowd.- I actually ended up on that part of the crowd among idiots and stupid hooligans who have no idea who Iggy Pop is. I bet they don’t even know that it is a rock concert because they’re that stupid. Check your perimeter. If they are all drinking beer or any alcohol during the opening act, then there’s a probability that those people will cause much trouble to your musical experience. But it’s kind of hard to look for a safer spot. That’s why there’s nothing safer and better than the front row. And this will bring you back again to tip number 1.
7. Learn the lyrics for chrissakes!- It’s annoying to rave there while hearing idiots around you blabbering incomprehensible words. Please learn the lyrics if you really want to sing along!
8. Make sure to bring friends who love rock music.- I was unfortunate to have Christian pop-music loving ‘Belieber’ friends. God knows why I met those people. My best friends are hundreds of miles away from me. At the end of the concert I was a mess- all sweaty, grimy, dirty and simply dead-tired. Since it was deep in the night, there was no public transport and I didn’t bring my car because no vehicle is allowed to enter the area. I had to walk all the way back home. My legs were wobbly and I walked like a dupe. At least if I were with some friends I wouldn’t look pitiful.
9. Exercise the vocal chords.- Make them strong to able to shout with all might and not lose your voice the following day. Trust me, vocalization is worth it.
10. Really, just forget the rest- forget the bad smell, forget the dumb alcoholic freaks, forget the naked girls. It’s the music! Jump and jive, and just enjoy the night!