Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Arroyo is Innocent, DAW, or My Personal Reflections on My Former Loyalty to GMA and How I Voted in the 2010 Presidential Elections


I’m kind of tired talking about fitness (because I’m not sexy yet and it’s been weeks since I’ve been to the gym) and money (because, really I have none to talk about). Let’s talk about something that’s really dear to my heart. No, it’s not sex. That’s another thing. I’m talking about politics.

Some weeks ago I met a preacher who claimed that former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo is an innocent woman.



Not all preachers would talk about the Bible and the glories of heaven and God. Some are art fanatics. Some have sport-oriented minds. And some can be political animals. Mr. Preacher is a holy man. No doubt about it. He’s a missionary and he has helped a lot of people in the poorest areas of Manila and other parts of the Philippines. As I spend some time with him, taking him and his wife around the city, I discovered that he’s a kind man with a good and sincere heart, and very intelligent.

At home, while we were waiting for dinner, we talked about his personal life and his friends. I discovered that he liked playing golf, and like most golfers in the Philippines, his friends are from the richest and most influential caste of Philippine society. He’s friends with generals and businessmen. He runs a non-government organization that sometimes works with known political figures, congressmen and governors. He’s quite an observer of the Philippine political scene, probably because of his advantageous close connections with the powerful.

We talked about the disasters that happened in the Philippines. In particular, during the difficult times of Ondoy and Pepeng.

According to Mr. Preacher, Gloria Arroyo was a woman with balls, an ironclad will, and a President who believed in action.

She helped and funded Mr. Preacher’s organization. They didn’t know each other personally. It just happened that during one of the former President’s visits in the typhoon-wrecked areas she observed the honest and sincere action and support of Mr. Preacher and his organization. She included Mr. Preacher’s organization in the task force to help the victims of the storm.

I did some research and found this link:
http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/hl/hl112076.htm

I tried asking him about various corruption issues in which the former President was allegedly involved, and the alleged transfer of money from government funds to her electoral campaign machinery to promote her in Pampanga.

He dismissed most of the issues as black propaganda. The demonization of the media. 

He denied being a pro-Arroyo. But he insisted on fair play and justice. He didn’t claim that Arroyo is totally innocent of all the charges against her, but as far as he is concerned, the woman was a hard-working president who believed in action. Of course, who would dare to bite the hand that feeds you, right?

I countered his statement saying that she only released pork-barrel funds for her allies that’s why she got so much support from other politicians.

That’s not true, according to Mr. Preacher. The former president, as he observed, was willing to support and help the strongest allies of her former enemy, former President Joseph Estrada, if they have sensible and efficient projects and proposals.

And that’s one thing her critics and enemies can never deny- that she is a hard-working woman. Have you seen the video where she went ballistic before her press conference started because Malacanang’s press personnel were nowhere to be found and all of the reporters and journalists were already there? That’s efficiency. I know it. I’ve done the same thing over the inefficiency of some official in our organization during my stint as a national chairman of churva chuchu (hahahaha!).

And as regards to efficiency, having studied a little bit of finance and economics, I always say that the progress Philippines is enjoying now is the fruit of the economic reforms planted in the past by Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, and not by President Noynoy Aquino. The year 2013 will be decisive and defining moment because that’s the time when the effects of Arroyo’s economic reforms will wane. We will see what President Aquino will do when the situation has changed. Will he be laidback again, like he’s used to ever-since he entered politics? Or will he have the balls to face the challenges ahead, the way the ever-hated former president did in the past?

I have no credible opinion to share really regarding Arroyo’s innocence. I used to be a GMA supporter, because I didn’t approve Joseph Estrada’s way of running the country. I turned my back against her when she ran for president in 2004. The Hello Garci scandal just worsened my aversion towards her.

But looking at the situation now, at the cool and elite current President, and all this crusade of the good against the proliferation of evil, I ask myself if we are actually pursuing a righteous goal in Aquino’s  “daang matuwid”?

How can it be a straight path when he tolerates the corruption and questionable behaviour of his friends, allies and Cabinet members, but cries out for a witch-hunt against his predecessor and company?

In 2010, I voted for most of the candidates of the Liberal Party, and for President Aquino. That was the first time I voted as an overseas absentee voter. I even gave financial support. Even though I’m not a big-time lobbyist, but if you hold on to a political belief, it shouldn’t be just with your mouth but also with your pockets.

Do I have regrets now for supporting Noynoy and his not-so-saintly company? Sometimes I think of how I should’ve been practical in choosing the next leaders of the country. But I have no regrets because I believe in my ideals. Our political culture should be based on principles of the party, and not on the personalities in the party. I started in this manner, and I’m educating other youth and concerned citizens on how it should be done, just like here in Italy and in Europe in general.

Democracy is a human product, therefore, it is imperfect. That’s why we should educate ourselves and try to be the best for our country. Development will not come overnight. It is a process. Democracy is always a process. I have faith in the power of the people, and our power to choose the next leaders. I have faith in the voice of the people. And I have faith in God who establishes through divine appointment the authorities under His throne. 

Whether Arroyo is guilty or not, whether Noynoy is an agent of good or evil forces, still the future, peace and prosperity of the Philippines are in the hands of the people.

Remember this, our ancestors didn’t shed tears, sweat and blood just for us to trash our right and duty to vote and forget our freedom of speech.

God bless the Philippines!


Disclaimer: I’m not running for a congressional seat or any political position. But if you really insist, yes, you can vote for me to become a senator of the Philippines. Thank you! hahaha! 

18 comments:

  1. pareho naman silang may ginagawang mali. both noynoy at gloria. i think, kahit sino naman ang maging presidente, may makikita ang mga taong maling ginagawa. 3rd world country tayo. plus, sa pinas, mababa halos lahat ng EQ ng tao. we are not disciplined. we love blaming other people. so regardless kung sino ang presidente, we will always find something wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, as a people we should start cultivating our political culture and learn more about society and our politicians. I believe the Freedom of Information Bill will be helpful, but they continue to block it in the House of Representa-THIEVES.

      On our part, we should be more watchful and at the same time observant. Hindi porket napaganda ang highway sa lugar natin eh mabait na.

      Delete
  2. all i see are two rich presidents with powerfull "backups" or should i say sidekick? and innocent dying people slowly but surely in the middle. they are all hypocrites and ass licker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many, pero we have to believe na may mga natitirang marangal sa kalagitnaan natin, at sa kalagitnaan nilang lahat. We need to look at principled leaders, not opportunistic politicians. It's high time for us to be optimistic of our future and our society, and be assertive towards our public servants.

      Delete
  3. We really seem helpless nowadays. No matter who our president is or how noble and truthful he/she is, there's a whole web of other people beneath them who can always negate what ever good they have. Indeed, God bless the Philippines na lang! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't lose heart Zai. We are not helpless. Tayong mga nasa blogosphere, we have witnessed our collective power when were able to delay and even confuse politicians who passed the RA 10175. I believe we can do the same in choosing our future leaders in 2013.

      Delete
    2. Hmm you do have a point! Okay then, I have faith again. Go for gold tayo come 2013! :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing's for sure, GMA's one of the most intelligent presidents Ph has ever had. I just don't think she sincerely used those brains for Ph to prosper. Btw, I voted for Gibo Teodoro during the 2010 elections. And I never fell for that unrealistic straight-path bait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I voted for the Straight Path guy. We still have to be vigilant in 2013. The moment of truth will come. If the country continues in its progress then thanks to Aquino. If it declines, it is Aquino's fault, and the previous economic success is to Arroyo's credit.

      And I voted for the Liberal Party's principle and program, not the personality it installed. They have to get rid of the notion that politics is about personality. Politics should be about the principles.

      Delete
  6. im no fan of Arroyo, but I prefer her than Noynoy. just like Imelda than Aquino. noynoy and cory may not be involved in corruption, but arroyo and imelda have contributed alot in the history of the philippine economy. what's democracy if pocket is empty. mas maganda kasi yung me nagawa kesa naman sa wala ngang maling nagawa wala din namang tama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that Arroyo is an intelligent and hard-working President. As for Imelda, well, I beg to differ. She happens to be a sleek chronic liar.

      She may have built those institutions but the common man doesn't really have access to it, in reality.

      Delete
  7. i know nothing about politics I wish iam knowledgeable enough to comment on to this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. But as a citizen, I encourage you to know more about the current state of affairs of the country. Motherland's future depends on you.

      Delete
  8. I never liked her. I don't want to say more. I might say something I might regret, hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be very critical of her, but I admire her diligence and tenacity. Noynoy on the other hand is too posh, too elite, and very laid-back. But I voted for him.

      Too scared to express an opinion? Is RA 10175 knocking at your door too? hahaha!

      Delete
  9. just neutral ako :) i just dont want to judge her coz i dont know hwer personally :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True indeed. But I believe we have the right and duty to assess and judge her actions, decisions, and programs. After all, we are THE SOVEREIGN PEOPLE OF THE PHILIPPINES.

      Delete

Sige, sakayan niyo ang trip ko....