Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Day I Met Jeon Do-yeon


She’s not as beautiful as our pseudo-actresses-wannabe-concert-queens-glitter-ass-half-breeds-who-are-nothing-but-a-bunch-of-girls-who-barely-learned-to-act-and-could-have-been-better-as-commercial-models-because-almost-all-of-our-movies-are-120-minute-advertisement-save-those-indie-movies. But one cannot deny her greatness in acting and versatility.



For those of you who didn’t recognize her, she starred in “Lovers in Prague”. I didn’t watch it though.

Anyway, she’s considered an A-list actress in South Korea. She’s the female counterpart of Song Kang-ho. She’s the muse of great Korean film makers such as Lee Chan-dong.

Italy has known her since 2007 when she won the Best Actress Award at the Cannes Film Festival 2007 for the movie “Secret Sunshine”. 

In 2010, Im Sang-soo’s movie “The Housemaid” was shown in movie theatres all over Italy, and that was the first time I saw her.

Actress Jeon Do-yeon receiving a recognition for her artistry , given by the organizers of the Festival


It is the story of a young woman who was hired as a nanny for a very rich family. Her sexy boss started making advances to her, seducing her. And who wouldn’t fall for a guy who looks like a model and wanders around her room half-naked showing his body and six-pack abs. Eventually, she went down on him, until she got pregnant.  Of course her boss’ wife and mother-in-law got pissed off. Who wouldn’t be? Someone’s screwing your husband while you’re asleep.

Because of the horniness of one guy, the women of the house- the nanny, the governess, the boss’ wife, the filthy rich mother-in-law are all mixed up in this vortex of hate, revenge, and perfidy. I liked the unique characters, especially the governess who was at the heart of all the conflicts.

It was actually a remake. The 1960’s The Housemaid is one of the greatest movie classics in South Korea. It was a great challenge for both the movie director Im Sang-soo and Jeon Do-Yeon to do a successful remake.

This is exactly the kind of movie I’d like to watch- sex, cold revenge, and malice all together.

'The Housemaid' film director Im Sang-soo with actress Jeon Do-yeon 


And Jeon was superb in her role as Eun-yi, the nanny. She said during the press conference that she did push herself beyond her limits by showing some flesh but she was happy to live up to the challenge.

Of the 52 movies show at the Festival, this is really one of the few films that really I liked.

An interview with her fans and the audience





12 comments:

  1. I love the plot of the movie... I'll try to look for it online and watch... I love Korean films!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Korean screenwriters are really brilliant.

      Delete
  2. Gusto ko ang mga korean films. Good for u naka meet ka ng artist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still can't believe that I met her in person!

      Delete
  3. di ko sya kilala, but now may idea na ko. Better look for the film at panoorin din sya:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha nice nung story haha, kung ako man ee mga kaganung katawan ee imomodel ko din hahaha hmm magaganda din talaga plot line ng korean drama ee nu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naks! Puede ka naman mag artista sa Pinas!

      Delete
  5. I've seen Secret Sunshine and The Housemaid. Jeon is a firecracker. Very raw and visceral. I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still loved her in The Housemaid. She did push herself beyond the limits. By the way, I can't comment in your blog. Put back the comment box!

      Delete
  6. LMAO on the opening paragraph - what a description of our "act(less)res.

    I'm not familiar with her so THANKS for the post - I'm looking for something new to check out.

    Btw, I was wondering why I sometime missed reading your post. I just realized that you're not in my blog roll, I added you now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boh! No idea. Anyway, thanks for dropping by!

      Delete

Sige, sakayan niyo ang trip ko....