Monday, January 20, 2014

Jessica Zafra Galore!

I gave up my plans of world domination when I read an article by Jessica Zafra many years ago. It was like seeing the divine hand’s writing on the wall. I recanted my own manifesto to chant my allegiance to Her Universal Potentate, and pledged to be her most humble and loyal minion.

My plans for my trip to the Philippines were primarily political (how to meddle in my relatives’ political agenda in the baranggay elections), historical (visit historical sites in Laguna and Manila), and also literary (hoard as many books by Filipino authors as possible).

Well, I have already told you about my observations on the baranggay elections. I haven’t written anything about my visit to historical sites and my “excursion” to Manila. Let’s talk about books.

I brought back to Italy I think 40 books. I searched for F. Sionil José, Bob Ong, and… last but not the least… Jessica Zafra’s books. I searched many bookstores (well, just the National Bookstores) for the copies of Zafra’s Twisted series, that are nearly out of print.

sa sahig talaga ilatag eh no?


For those of you who do not know Jessica Zafra, she’s one of the brightest minds of the country who chose to remain in the Philippines in order to counter the burgeoning stupidity in the Philippine government, Senate and House of Representatives, and in the Filipino society. She used to be a TV personality, a radio DJ, and a former manager of the Eraserheads (I guess this explains why I’m so crazy about her). But basically she’s a very gifted writer who commands an incredible following of geeky minions, sarcastic girls, and little gay boys. She is the ultimate diva in the publishing world!

from jerontravel.com


For more info, just go to Wikipedia.

My first book of the year? Twisted 3: Planet of the Twisted. Currently reading Twisted IV- The Twisted Menace.



20 comments:

  1. My oh my. No wonder you know a lot:) I wish I have your passion for books. I do love to read when I have time in between everything:) nakakaisa book palang ako this year:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kulang pa po yan! Hehehe... I encourage you to do more reading. it's good for the soul and good for the mind.

      Delete
  2. I know Lourd, Ramon, Bob Ong, and now Glentot, but I have yet to read a Jessica Zapra. I know I know... shame on me. Okay I'm raiding the bookstores for her books one of these days so I'd know why she is the ultimate diva in the publishing world. So she was a former Eraserhead manager? Cool! By the way, I've seen her last July in CCP during the Cinemalaya festival. Senyor got starstruck when he saw her hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ay sorry Zafra pala, wrong spelling!

      Delete
    2. I have the impression that you and Jessica have the same attitude. Not to mention the impeccable command of English and grammar. Hehehe...

      Delete
    3. magbolahan tayo sa umagang kay ganda! pero tama, mala-JZ din yang si Marge sa taray!

      Delete
  3. I saw here in Powerbooks Greenbelt when I was in college. I had to stalk her around the bookstore, and when I mustered enough courage, I approached her to sign her book. :-) She wrote everything backwards. Cool. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. After Eraserheads, she's the coolest thing in the Philippines! hehehe!

      Delete
  4. I wish I had the will power to go through reading those kinds of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think kung interested ka talaga dun sa babasahin mo eh hahanap hanapin mo na ang magbasa, na parang drugs.

      Delete
  5. Naku I know someone na super fan ni Jessica Zafra. Si glentot. Magkakasundo kayo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think so? Hehehe... I would like to meet glentot one day at mabili din yung book niya.

      Delete
  6. Wow! thanks for sharing, macheck ko rin nga yan :)

    Ingat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So far maganda ba books niya? I came across some when I was still in Highschool. Di ko na lang pinansin eh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yung books niya ay collections ng kanyang mga articles ng kanyang column. Parang blog nga din ang binabasa ko, but her books are great! Inspiring and very moving most of the time despite the fact that they're filled with sarcasms. hahaha!

      Delete
  8. Isa siya sa mga hinahangaan ko sa pagsusulat at pagbigay ng mga kuro-kuro...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sa tingin ko isa lang siya sa kakaunting mga intellectual sa atin na may valid opinion (of course, hindi kasama diyan ang nakararami sa Senado at Kongreso).

      Delete
  9. I've read this before but ngayon lang ako magko-comment ang sama kasi ng loob ko sa sarili ko when I realized na hindi ko na sya nababasa...

    I started following her from her newspaper column and I remember isa sya sa mga very few personalities that I mentioned on my "FRIENDSTER" profile as one of my idol and fave writer (Whom my friends were asking "Sino yun?"). I consider myself as her #1 fan during that time.

    I started buying her book way back when I started attending the Manila International Bookfair (MIBF) pa yata. Every time I went to that fair ang una kong pinupuntahan ay Anvil Publishing - her publisher. May discount kasi pag sa fair. I have copies of her twisted series and one of her books that I remember most is the "Manananggal in the City". Ewan ko lang kung nandito pa sakin yung mga JZafra books ko...

    On my 2013 post about MIBF I said:
    "But it was a tough battle when I needed to buy something from Anvil Publishing (one of my favorites). I was not able to restrain myself from peeping on Jessica Zafra’s books especially the “Twisted” series. I picked two books and supposed to queue at the cashier. It was a real battle before I finally decided to return my picks back to the racks (sigh/LOL)."

    Now nanghihinayang ako na hindi ko pa binili :( Eto kasing post mo eh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU RETURNED THE ZAFRA BOOKS?! Oh my God Ms. balut! Forgive her Father for she does not know what she's doing!

      Delete

Sige, sakayan niyo ang trip ko....