Saturday, April 12, 2014

Il Mare and Exchanging Letters With An Unknown Person

Imagine that you’re living in the late 90’s (no Google, no Facebook, no shit), and some letter from a person that is not listed in your address book landed into your mailbox, what would you do?

  1. Return to sender, or to the Post Office, or ignore it, or better, burn it because I have to convince my brain that it is not worth my memory. It’s unthinkable for any rational being to start a correspondence with a stranger. We don’t talk to strangers.

  1. Investigate and ask questions. Once satisfied after finding the answers, correspondence will stop.

  1. or fall in love for no reason at all and continue to exchange letters with an unknown person.

We would all choose A but many of us would fall under C.

And this movie is all about that- falling in love through exchanges of letters with an unknown person who lives in a different time. She lives in the year 2000 and he lives in 1998. Something like that.



Now I’m not gonna write the plot here because… it’s 1:07 AM. I-Google niyo na lang, ok?

The thing is, the movie is oozing with sentimentality and cheesiness. When it was released in 2000, it was almost a flop, perhaps due to the fact that it was released together with the movie Ditto, another time-travel romance.  But somehow, after some time it developed a solid fan base and made it reach the line-up of movies in the 12th Florence Korea Film Fest. The movie is the work of film director Lee Hyun-seung, with Jun Ji-hyun and Lee Jung-jae  as the main actors.

While I am in favour of the classic art of letter-writing, I still can’t bring myself to think of exchanging correspondences with someone you don’t know. I mean, it could be all part of a scam. He could be a maniac, stalker, or a serial killer. But then, I may simply be paranoid. I know this is fiction but there should be some logic in it. I mean, she can’t send a letter to the past because time flows in a linear manner and in one direction. And He can send a letter to the future but that thing would simply disintegrate during its travel to the future.

But then ‘love’ is one of the major themes of this movie so all logic in the universe is quasi inexistent.  


So why did I watch the movie? Because I know, somehow I would also choose the letter C, if love ever steps in. And the whole universe would become a huge pile of cow dung. Yes, underneath the sarcasm, there’s that little hopeless romantic that I can never ever kill inside me. 

6 comments:

  1. Aha!

    Why i have this feeling that I actually believed that there's just not a little but HUGE hopeless romantic inside of you? Aminin!

    Fyi, I'm luvin your current flow of thoughts lately. It's like the "Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Jelly Bean" from Harry Potter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hindi ako romantic. I'm not made of the mushy cheesy stuff. Hehehe!

      Delete
  2. Unrelated perhaps but there was a short book I read about a letter that was accidentally delivered to the wrong person and he thought that he got an admirer and he changed his ways from being a boring person to someone filled with life. I won't tell the ending but it could happen.

    All of us crave for love. Even the most stern person deserves one. How I long for my unrequited love to actually be welcomed long time ago, pero past na yun so moving on....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen Lake House, Sandra Bullock lives 2 years apart from Keanu Reeves. It was a good movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lake House is actually the remake of Il Mare. Hollywood used Il Mare to name the restaurant where keanu and sandra would meet.

      Delete

Sige, sakayan niyo ang trip ko....