Wednesday, August 06, 2014

An Overdose of Historical Tidbits

I discovered Ambeth Ocampo’s books. And I was really overwhelmed by the historical tidbits I read in these books.



I am a history-lover. I don’t care if it’s dry and dense. I can handle that. That’s how I love history. I enjoyed it more when I read Ocampo’s articles about Philippine History. He has an enjoyable way of approaching history and a very amusing perspective of it.

The problem with our history is that it is mostly fabricated to become legendary, to the point of reaching the levels of being biblically supernatural. With Ambeth Ocampo, our history becomes real and candid and even more interesting.

In his book “Rizal Without the Overcoat”, we see more of Rizal’s humanity and understand his way of thinking. What I particularly liked is how Ocampo narrated Rizal’s life as an expatriate. It felt so similar with the plight of most Filipino expatriates like me. It made me appreciate Rizal more than ever. And Makamisa is a must to read if you can't get enough of Noli and El Fili.




It’s approaching Philippine history with an attitude.

6 comments:

  1. Hindi ako masyadong mahilig sa mga babasahin na may kinalaman sa history... pero sa pagkakalarawan mo sa panulat ni Ambeth mukhang interesting nga ang kanyang mga libro. Ang mga nakikita ko kasing nagbabasa ng books niya ay mga social studies teacher :)

    Siya nga pala Mr. Tripster, nakakatuwa ang larawan ng iyong mga libro sa fb :) Feeling ko tuloy ang tamad ko talaga magbasa hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kung ikaw ay convinced na walang pag-asa sayo ang history, try mo magbasa ng isa niyang libro o kahit yung column niya sa Inquirer.

      Delete
  2. Very true, the man is a gem. He has regular talks at the ayala museum :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to attend in one of his lectures at the Ayala Museum when I go back to the Philippines next year.

      Delete
  3. I used to love filipino history back then,..elementary days cgro but as I grow old I lost my taste with our own history. Maybe because most of the writers or books I read overdo it. fabrication and sugar coating etc and to the point that it become a legendary.

    I actually heard about this guy through a friend. He invited me to join him to one of his lectures but I declined the offer. if only my friend describe correctly the author..cgro I rekindle my love with our own history:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meron ako nung "Looking Back" durog durog na kaka-ulit kong basahin noon.
    Sakto yung pagkaka describe mo sa kanya " He has an enjoyable way of approaching history"

    ReplyDelete

Sige, sakayan niyo ang trip ko....