Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Read This Like You Were Reading Sylvia Plath or Listening to Beethoven’s Moonlight Sonata

“You cannot cage this bird, my love. I’ve grown used to dark, dangerous freedom and all its attendant humiliations.”

-         from “The Piano Teacher” by Janice Y.K. Lee

A love story. I really don’t read love stories. But in this case, I got interested because it was set in Hongkong in the 1940’s.

I was interested in the customs and ways of the 40’s and 50’s because I’ve always thought that I was a beauty in the 50’s who behaved like a slut, that I was reincarnated in this flabby body of a conservative boy who behaves like an insatiable bottom in the bed at night.

So what was it like to live the life of a socialite party princess, a half-breed, despised by two races whose blood runs in your veins, courting love, hate and danger, as the storm of war starts to build-up nearby? What was love like when you have to choose freedom or the perilous life of living in truth?

I’m blabbering rubbish again. I just gave this book 3 stars. I kind of lost interest because I lost momentum perhaps? Or maybe love stories are not really for me.

I felt kind of lost after reading this because it is the story of love that was put to the test by fate, and that test was the uncertain times of World War II in Hongkong.

And you know how wars are- they can make you or break you.


Almost all the characters are broken by the war, and fate broke their hearts and spirits as well. As soon as peace came, everyone was lost, so is the reader.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sige, sakayan niyo ang trip ko....