Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Where's Crispin?

“Si Crispin” is a short book that took me weeks to finish. Written in heavy Tagalog, this is the work of Filipino word-master, Tony Perez, who has inspired many writers, like the contemporary novelist Edgar Calabia Sama, another novelist who writes heavy Tagalog. I really don't want to sound like some dumbass conyo, but it's not everyday that you read tagalog words or expressions that are used during Spanish rule. We are so used to Kris Aquino-speak, jejenese and pabebe language that when we read a book in tagalog, it's like learning a foreign language. 



 It’s really so pathetic of me to write something about this book that took the author many years of research and study. So I won’t say anything really about it. Because it’s not really bad.

In this book we see the (fictional) behind-the-scenes of Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo, as the writer recounts the story of what really happened to Crispin and his family, and the real identity of Crispin’s father. It’s the world of Rizal and agimats, and orasyon, and chants.




A must read for people who want to experience the discovery of our culture’s innocence and an interesting way of reading historical fiction.

11 comments:

  1. You must be doing a reading marathon of all the books you carried from home. This book will not appeal to me since I find it frustrating to read something where I get to use a dictionary for each paragraph I read. Nevertheless, I love the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny. I read books in Italian without the need of consulting a dictionary. But with this one I even had to ask my grandmother t know the meaning of certain expressions. And I'm so not conyo!

      Delete
  2. may aklat ako niyan nabili ko sa NBS,, super b ang mga chapter ng aklat na yan!! lakas makabalik sa highschool.. kaya dapat may alam ka sa Noli at El Fili pagbinasa mo ang aklat na yan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. in fairness sayo at sa mga palibro mo. in fairness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. im commenting kasi nagcomment ka sa blog ko! bwahahahaha... huy magpakontes ka nga at ang prize ay mga libro mong paandar! daliiii!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am actually to ask you about with Filipino author and books to start reading aside from those that I had been getting.. I'll get this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. F. Sionil José. That man made me see the Philippines and our historybfrom a different angle. Para light, Bob Ong or Ricky Lee...

      Delete
  6. Di ko nakikita ang librong ito sa NBS...

    Bigla ko tuloy naalala yung mga Filipino teachers ko nung high school at yung mga pinapabasa sa aming mga akda. Parang ganun siguro yung feeling kapag nabasa ko ang libro na yan.

    ReplyDelete

Sige, sakayan niyo ang trip ko....