Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Bibliobisyo and Some Goodreads so far...

La Regina Scalza (Roughly translated as The Barefoot Queen) by Ildefonso Falcones. 2 out of 5.

18805802

Spanish writer Falcones impressed me with his books The Cathedral by the Sea and La Mano di Fatima (Fatima’s Hand). But I was really disappointed with his latest novel. It was so boring! Or maybe I lost the momentum. Nevertheless, I didn’t like the idea of a novel about the lives of 16th century gypsies. I hate gypsies. I know I am being such a racist, but if you were an immigrant also in Europe, you’d think the same way too.

I won’t go any further. It’s too boring.

Invisible by Paul Auster. 4 out of 5.

6345193

Auster’s novel really mesmerized me. The impression I felt when I read his Oracle Night novel is the same sensation I felt when I read this one. A promising poet meets this French guy Rudolf Born and his sexy companion Margot. All went well until the harmonious ménage-à-trois was suddenly disrupted by the sexual tensions among them and a crime the French guy committed. It was the incident that would change their lives and the people they love. From incest, sexual discovery, literature and passion- prepare to be shocked (I was a bit shocked by the incest thing) and be engaged to this masterpiece.

All That Remains by Patricia Cornwell. 4 out of 5

232123

Third of the Scarpetta series. Cornwell is one of the finest crime-thriller writers of our time. And she is the only one that I truly worship of all writers of her genre. In fact, I only read her books of this genre. Dr. Kay Scarpetta investigates the mysterious deaths of couples but their bodies leave no trace of the killer. Until the body of a US legislator comes up, her career and investigation are once again hanging on a delicate balance. Thrilling, exciting and really creepy. Never read this book in an isolated parking area.

Insectissimo by Lourd De Veyra. 3 out of 5

10651914

Only three because in this moment, I’m not really in the mood for poetry. Nevertheless, reading this interesting book is a great experience. It’s like eating pieces of Lourd’s grey matter- sharp flavour, scrumptious, and mouth-watering. He’s a master of words and the poems encapsulate his cool attitude. I find him really sexy. With this book, kung nagkataong babae ako, magpapabuntis talaga ako sa kanya sa sobrang admiration.

The Jewel of St. Petersburg by Kate Furnivall. Perfect 5!

6948137

A historical novel about Valentina Ivanova, the famous and beautiful pianist of the rich Russian society, and her love with a Danish engineer in the years before the Russian revolution. I read this book at the time when I was raving and hooked to Downton Abbey series. Perfect combination. A story of true love that goes beyond wealth and rank and noble titles, a love that defied even the revolution. Can’t wait to read the sequel The Russian Concubine.

Stupid is Forever…More by Sen. Miriam Defensor-Santiago. Perfect 5!
25712989


Are you frustrated with our politics? Are you sad? Grab a copy and it’s gonna make you smile all throughout the week. That, my friends, is the Miriam Magic. A compilation of her pick-up lines and her inspiring speeches. I just wish I could have her sign it, just like my copy of her first book.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sige, sakayan niyo ang trip ko....