Tuesday, February 09, 2016

The Book Inquisition Ep. 01: Inferno

The Book Inquisition Ep. 01: Inferno

The Biblio-beki Queen commands Dan Brown’s ‘Inferno’ to be put to the stand and face the Queenly Queer Queries.

  1. How was the cover?

I liked the paperback version of Corgi Books. The cover features the Duomo and an eerie mask above, done under the art direction by Claire Ward. 1 point.

  1. Did the book cause a lot of controversy?


Well, after referring to Manila as “the gates of hell”, obviously, a lot of Filipinos were deeply offended, mobilizing internet trolls and onion-skinned critics to denounce Brown’s novel that portrayed the lie about our capital city which we will always and forever deny. And I love it when certain books offend my own people. And also because I am an internet troll. Add to that the fact that it deals with issues about population growth and population control, issues which are very close to the heart of the Catholic Church and far more relevant in the hearts of the faithful, more than issues about justice and the fight against poverty and corruption. 2 points with a 0.5 bonus point!

  1. Did it compel me to do something I’ve never done before?

Kind of. I had this urge to do some research about population control, and check the accuracy of the theories about the doom of mankind. But the scientific theories brought me to boredom. BUT… it made me go out again and revisit some of our museums and historical landmarks that were mentioned in the book, making me fall in love again with Florence.  A full 1 point.



  1. Was the plot development refreshing and more than the usual shit you read or has it became your reality? 
Inferno is the first book I read this year. And compared to the last book I read in 2015, The Master of Petersburg (really bored me to death), Inferno is a lot better. And has it become my reality, my world? Well it actually deals with what is happening in our world to day. It is very relevant today. 2 points.

  1. Were the characters of the story similar to your favourite imaginary friends, or did they get along well with the creature under your bed, or have they become the friends/lovers/sex-slaves you’ve always wanted in your delusional world?


I have began to like Robert Langdon in the Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons. A bit less in this novel. Even his new “partner in crime” Dr. Sienna Brooks didn’t quite get my sympathy. I don’t know. We do not have chemistry this time. But they’re not that bad. Half point! 0.5!

  1. Has it changed your way of thinking? Have you become a better person or remained the same asshole in the neighbourhood?

I think, it made me more aware of the seriousness of the population explosion and the options to consider in dealing with it. At the same time it kind of made me scrutinize what international authorities and institutions are doing. 1 point.

7. Tonight. Sex or this book?

You’re reading Inferno. Perplexed with Dante Alighieri’s Divine Comedy and the status of the world’s population. Then here comes this guy, Raoul Bova, Italian sex icon and actor, and he says “Come to bed with me, now.”



The book is causing you a lot of perplexities, so you would say, ok, because part of you wants to deny the stressful truth of the novel and part of you just want to eat that Italian meat. You’ll put the book down for a while and have some really hot sex, but you will still save up some energy so you can get back again to reading after a while.

1.5!


Total- 9.5 points!

A MUST-READ!



11 comments:

  1. pwede naman sigurong hindi "or" ang nasa number 7. pwddeng "at" para mas exciting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kapagod naman teh. One at a time. Exciting ang book eh. Hahaha!

      Delete
  2. What an entertaining way of putting up a book review! 10 points.

    I am not a Dan Brown follower (just happened to read A&D because a friend told me so) but your "A MUST-READ" recommendation is noted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the time when Filipino people were so enraged by Dan Brown's depiction of Manila as the "gates of hell". Brown's works always stir a storm of controversy and he loves it for it is a great way to have a publicity. Effective strategy. Look at him now. He is now one of the most famous authors around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am not Dan Brown. I have been to Manila. And infind no reason to denounce Brown's novel really.

      Delete
    2. Idol ko siya for being creative and matalinong author.

      Delete
  4. You have made me want to read the book :) Great review btw

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daming alam ni dan brown, pero dahil dito sa post mo, mas lalo (or na re-kindle) yung desire ko na basahin ang books nya, na matagal ko nang plano! great review. The last na impacted ako ng libro e yung binasa ko yung the sanctuary (forgot the name of the author), that it encouraged me to create a blog post for it. :)

    Nice, hitting the bookstore, salamat daw sayo at madami nanamang bibili ng libro niya! hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Naclose ko yung browser, tapos na sana ako sa comment ko. :( huhuhuhu.

    Anyway, dahil sa post mo, i have decided na basahin yung books niya, cause i forgot na part sya dapat ng reading list ko, sobrang astig kasi talaga ng mga novels nya. Salamt daw sayo sabi ni dan brown, napromote pa ang libro nya! hahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete

Sige, sakayan niyo ang trip ko....