Friday, January 20, 2017

The Book Inquisition Ep. 5- Learning Curves

The Queen of the Queer Book Queries summons Learning Curves by Gemma Townley to the stand…



  1. How was the cover?


It was a gift from my best girlfriend so I didn’t much say on its cover. It’s yellow and has the most kikay designs. So I’ll give it 0,5.

  1. Can the book cause a lot of controversy? Or if the book is controversial or has an outrageous claim to something or really popular, did it live up to your expectations?

The book is not controversial. But it has quite an outrageous following, obviously, of single girls, young adult girls, and the like. I really don’t know what to make of it. Has it live up to my expectations? Nah. But I’m generous. 1 point.

  1. Did it compel you to do something I’ve never done before?

Reading this book of this genre (a Chick Lit) gave me a sudden impulse of drafting a story of this gay guy and his hidden love for his straight best friend. And I’m not a fan of romantic chick literature. Ok, 1 point!

  1. Was the plot development refreshing and more than the usual shit you read or has it become your reality?

So there was this Jennifer Bell who just got out of a relationship with a presumably a hottie but a total jerk of a boyfriend who was an environmentalist. As she was trying to plan out a new life ahead, her mother coaxed her to do some undercover job into her long-time-no-see father’s consulting company under the guise of an MBA student. But she was about to find out more than corporate tricks and corruption. She might probably find love in the form of a dashing bookseller executive.

Ok, I doubt that it would be part of my reality, because in my world, there are no handsome executives who are quite passionate about book-selling. In my world, guys who like girls do not lose their cool or get self-conscious. They start to have boners. So yes, I guess it was quite refreshing to read an absolutely fiction story with a world that is manifesting from a girl’s point of view. Sometimes it irritates me and annoys me because I find it so…. Uhm… I dunno… corny. But that’s the thing, it’s guilty pleasure too. Ok, a full 2 points.

  1. Were the characters of the story similar to your favourite imaginary friends, or did they get along well with the creature under your bed, or have they become the friends/lovers/sex-slaves you’ve always wanted in your delusional world?

Not really. I find it hard to relate with Jennifer Bell, the main character. Strange, because I really did not unlike the story at all. Anyway, it’s 0 point for me.

  1. Has it changed your way of thinking? Have you become a better person or remained the same asshole in the neighbourhood?

I’m still the same old me. 0 point.

  1. Tonight. Sex or this book?


I enter William’s bookstore and tell him, “I’m just a bored Screaming Queen who’s been reading this book, standing in front of a boy, asking him to bang her.” I drop the book and drag William outside and somewhere where we can have a good time. After that, I’ll get back to pick it up again and continue reading. 1 point.
A total of 5.5/10 points. Not such a great book to start the year. It’s not really my genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sige, sakayan niyo ang trip ko....